Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Audacity to the rescue!

I finally figured out how to rescue my old cassette tape recital recordings. I have been playing my cassette deck into my computer's sound card, and recording everything with free Audacity software. If I had a million years of free time (and a million gigs of disk space) I'd go through the millions of mix tapes in my closet and digitize the whole lot of them. For now, though, I had to start with the most important recordings - the ones of ME! Oh, and don't tell anyone, but I was also able to edit out a couple undesirable moments in some of the pieces. :)

This morning I just figured out (thanks to the kindly internets) how to embed a little media player, so I can share my newly digitized recordings with you:











This is "Aufschwung" from Schumann's Fantasiestücke, Op. 12, from my 1994 DMA solo recital at The University of Cincinnati - College-Conservatory of Music.

Maybe soon I can figure out how to put a few of these on my website. I'm sure there's a way to make it have a little playlist attached to it, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

1 comment:

kirsten said...

i want all your mp3s! And you should rig it so the music starts playing when ppl open your webpage. that would be hottt.

I did my vinyl-to-mp3 stuff with Audacity so I woudn't feel bad abandoning my vinyl on the mainland. It's kinda cool! Takes up a lot of memory though. hooray cheap external hard drives!

okay post more of you playing pleez, i love love love it! *mwah*