


Last weekend, my friend (and former high school choir director) Martin was in the city for one of his Metropolitan Opera subscription concerts, so we met on Saturday night for dinner. He took me to Molyvos, a Greek resataurant not far from where I live. Very nice! We went all out: Ouzo, appetizers, entrees, wine, dessert, coffee... It was great catching up.
Now, I know I shouldn't drink half a bottle of wine and then go traipsing around on my roof, but I wanted to see what the city lights looked like (especially since it had just rained, and the streets were nice and reflective...) from up there.
This week, the Phillies won the world series, so Lisa and I spent some time at a Philly bar in the Village, watching the game with a bunch of fired-up Phillies fans. Here's the crowd spilling out into the street (Greenwich Ave.) just after we won:
On Thursday, I got to see András Schiff play an all-Beethoven Sonatas program at Carnegie Hall. He's doing them in chronological order, so that night he did Opus 54 through Opus 81a. It was very controlled and tasteful. His coda to the third movement of the "Apassionata" was phenomenal. I couldn't help giggling a little at the dramatic way he threw his arms in the air and spun around to face the audience at the completion of almost every sonata. Patrick got me a great house seat, so I ended up in the same box as Yefim Bronfman! (I didn't say anything to him.) Oh, and as encores, he played a Schubert Moment Musical and the Schumann Arabesque.
Last night was Halloween. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures... Nicol and I went down to Chelsea to see some of the parade, but the crowds were a bit too much for us, so we went to get some food and drinks instead. We did see a bit of it, though. Pretty much everywhere we went last night, there were plenty of opportunities to see folks in costumes, so it was fun.




No comments:
Post a Comment