Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Three Months and Counting (Down)

In the the next three months, Louie The Cat and I will pack up our 8 years of Philadelphia belongings and take all the necessary steps to haul them 99.9 miles northeast to the Big Apple. So far I have quit my jobs, told almost all my students, friends and family, and begun the job search process. I'm completely freaked out that it's happening, but excited as can be.

In this blog, I hope to document this transition process, and keep it going once I arrive in NYC, as a means to keep everyone up-to-date on this crazy leap of faith I'm taking!

So, why am I doing this?

1. I have always loved New York City and feel very energized and alive when I'm there. I grew up in the Catskills of New York State, where everyone refers to it as "the city" - as if there are no other cities in the world! I have to say, part of me feels that way (though if Paris ever comes a-calling, I'm there...)

2. I am a musician. Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Juilliard, The Met, 92nd St Y, Broadway... 'nuff said.

3. My friends - I have wonderful friends in NYC, and it will be fun to see them more often! They have been on my case to move up there for years.

4. The piano duo. My dear piano duo partner of 16 years, María José Martín, will be getting married on August 23rd, to her wonderful fiancé, Geoff. They will be moving from the Philly area down to D.C. in the Fall. We definitely plan to continue playing together - in fact, we already have two concerts booked for 2009. (See bradshawmartinduo.com for updates!) I never wanted to move away from María, but this way neither of us feels like we're abandoning the other. Our collaboration was the main reason I moved to Philly in the first place. It will be a challenge, but we know we can do it! We plan to expand our performances to the New York and D.C. areas once we get established.

5. Sanford School has been an incredible place to work for the last 8 years. The people in the music department have become a family to me, and it will be heart-wrenching to say goodbye. The rest of the school, including many of the students, are like an extended family. My boss and dear friend, Lisa, who has been at Sanford for 19 years, decided this year to quit her job as music department head and move to NYC. It made sense for us to go at the same time, so neither of us feels like we're doing it alone! Also my dear colleague Betty, who has taught with me throughout these 8 years, has decided to retire as well.

6. The cost of gasoline is over $4.00 a gallon! This commuting is killing me. If I get rid of my car payment, my car insurance payment, and my gasoline bill, I could add that to my current rent payment and voila! New York rent! (Plus my Philly landlord thinks he's raising my rent by $100 in November!) I get the added benefit of feeling like I'm reducing my "carbon footprint" if I lose the car. I'll miss you, Black Mamba! Let's make the most of these 3 months!

7. Darlington. I have been teaching there for these 8 years, as well. Again, heart-wrenching. I cried today thinking about having to say goodbye to one of my most talented long-term piano students. Working one-on-one with a student, week after week, for years on end, creates a special bond. I have watched some grow from little kids into young adults with flourishing musical ability. There is no greater reward than to know I had a some hand in their musical development. But Darlington will change this year, too. Diana, my boss, the founder and director of Darlingon for 30 years is now retiring. She has been an incredible mentor and inspiration to me since I met her.

8. NMR (NextMonthsRent) is the band I've been playing keyboards with for a couple years. I know they won't be happy with my decision. We came very close to a permanent break-up a few months ago, though, so for a while I thought this was another good reason why I wasn't tied to Philadelphia anymore. However, on my birthday, April 8th, we got back together and have been rehearsing again for the last two months. Playing with Cindy, Blue and Tony has certainly given me a new degree of confidence in front of a crowd, and I will definitely miss working with them.

As one parent told me yesterday, "It seems like the tide is moving you in this direction." She's right - I just hope I wash up somewhere good! I try to imagine myself staying in my current apartment, in my current jobs, continuing to do what I'm doing, knowing that Maria, Lisa, Betty, and Diana have moved on. I think I would feel left behind! I think I would feel like I passed up an opportunity for change and growth. I will be really sad to leave my Philly friends. I have come to know this town pretty well. It's only 99.9 miles, though! I know we will be visiting each other both up in NYC and here in Philly. Everyone loves a free place to stay in New York, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris Bradshaw.. I will be DEVASTATED when you leave town.. Primarily because I am jealous of your leap of faith AND... because I will miss so much.. . It makes me teary eye when I think about you leaving!!

However, getting a free place to stay in NYC is a pretty sweet deal..

Though, if I had it my way.. you stay here and be the great friend you are to me, close by FOREVER!

kirsten said...

oh bunny i am *so* excited for you!! I think this is awesome and I'm proud of you for taking such a big leap of faith. You and Louie will make NYC a better place! :)

(ps: Love the website!)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Xtofur! I LOVE NYC! It is easily my favorite city in the entire world- in fact, it's fast becoming my favorite place on earth! You are going to MAKE IT BIG! (as the immortal Wham! said so well in the 80's).
Good luck! I love you! Hell, we all love you! Neal (plus Michael and Archie)

Unknown said...

Good Bye Bunny :(